Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Adventures in Reupohlstery

Now that we've spent all our money on our mortgage and renovation... where do we find the dinero to decorate?  This is the situation many of us working folk find ourselves in after finally buying our first home.  


Some of us out there are such amazing crafty people whipping together whole pieces of furniture out of reclaimed wood but I have to be honest, I am not carpentry inclined.  I would even go as far as to say that I am not very paint friendly either.  This is new territory for me.  


Anyways, lately to decorate on a budget, thrift stores and craigslist are my best friends.  Recently, I bought two classic framed chairs, a French style Bergere and Classic Wingback for $20 each.  Now, I am on my new adventure to reupholster them and make them shiny, new, modern and me.


I stopped by Diamond Foam & Fabric but the prices seem a little high.  Although they gave me and my friend, Tuan some fresh baked sourdough bread upon entry.  I am going to stop by Michael Levine (in downtown) and F&S Fabric on Pico to check out their selection and prices as well.  I cannot decide to use a black and white color pattern (see fabric swatches below) or do something more bold and colorful.  As they say on Project Runway, I am just going to let the fabric speak to me. Will show some more fabric swatches after my trips out to those other stores.


What do you all think?  I wish Nate Berkus would come and finish the rest of my house!!  I am going to try and get myself on his show.


Here are some pictures of the chairs...
This is the beat up classic wingback chair

This is a slightly dirty but still lookin' pretty decent French style Bergere chair.

Here are two fabric swatches I found so far.  Was thinking of doing the wingback in the faux python black fabric and the bergere in the stipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment