Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Creating Traditions for your Modern Family

Looking back, many of our fond memories are of family holidays, traditions and celebrations.  As we grow older, many of those traditions take on a new meaning.  For me and some of my friends, we have been trying to re-capture our cultural and religious traditions to reflect our values as adults.  I think many of us are exploring how to convert these family traditions for the modern day.

One friend of mine started her own Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead celebration to remember loved ones who have passed on in our families and communities as well as learn more about the Mexican holiday. I have always been drawn the the Day of the Dead celebrations especially since we have similar celebrations in Korean culture.  It is a holiday where you celebrate that your loved ones are among you and there is nothing to fear in the afterlife.  One of the main themes in Day of the Dead is the skull or skeleton which are decorated beautifully with bright colors.  My friend bought ready-made sugar skulls from a local vendor and we made royal frosting to use as decoration and glue for sequins, sprinkles, etc.


The sugar skulls before decorating. They looks beautiful alone too.

Here is the skull that I made :)

We made a big tub of simple royal frosting and added gel food coloring in bright colors and then filled them in pastry funnels for all the adults and kids to use easily!

My friend also laminated directions which can be reused each year!

This is the altar made to those who have passed on which includes fruits, sweet traditional bread, Mexican chocolate and pictures of loved ones.



There was also a station to make paper flowers!  It was so fun!
A cultural traditional holiday like this one can be used as a day to gather together as a family and community to celebrate life and share a tradition where there are parallels to so many other cultures.

How have you re-interpreted or modernized your family traditions and cultures?




2 comments:

  1. Love this post. Found your blog through Eugene Kim on Facebook. Lately, my husband and I have been making sure to have Sunday morning breakfast (pancakes, bacon, hash browns - the works!). We're trying to build a Christmas/Holiday tradition...but everything seems cheesy.

    I am a new blogger myself...I guess that's a tradition (or a discipline) in itself.

    http://cravingworthy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cravingworthy! My friends and I are trying to figure out how to make cultural, religious and spiritual traditions our own.

    ReplyDelete